Random Ramblings

Random Ramblings: Personal observations on a wide variety of subjects. Photographs of creatures and things that are taken on seeing the unusual as well as everyday things.

Bouncing/Rebounding

The most useful and healthiest piece of equipment that I have ever purchased is a rebounder sometimes called a bouncer, jogger or mini trampoline.

Rebounder - bouncer

I was first introduced to this useful tool by a consumer radio programme hosted by Ed Doolan. From what I can recall … a guest on the programme was suffering from a possible terminal condition whereby her health was gradually deteriorating. I seem to remember that she had reached a stage whereby she could hardly move and somehow she found out about ‘rebounders.’ She purchased one that had a handle for support. She began by just gently moving up and down – she couldn’t lift her feet. Within a short while of using it regularly she finally was able to lift her feet one at a time into the air … from there she began lightly walking and then jumping. Instead of getting worse the action gradually improved her condition and if my memory serves me well, I seem to remember that when she returned to the hospital her condition had healed itself – she was well.

I remember, at the time thinking I wonder how that came to be? Then I did a little reading about the lymphatic system. This is similar to the blood or circulatory system as it runs throughout the whole of the body – the only difference between the two is that blood is pumped throughout the body by the heart and so is constantly moving where the fluid in the lymphatic system and lymph glands relies on our energetic movement to travel from one place to another. As many of us do not move sufficiently … the liquid lies still, it sort of stagnates as we remain stationary. So our static, sedentary, life styles may then cause us to feel or become unwell.

I purchased by first rebounder about twelve to fifteen years ago … I’ll be honest I didn’t expect it to do anything for me at all. After using it for two to three weeks I did however notice that I could now run up several flights of stairs without getting out of breath. I felt bright-eyed and bushy tailed and always raring to go … and I felt really, really well. Needless to say I quickly became a fan and have since purchased quite a few more. As a piece of equipment they usually last around two years … their main fault are the springs around the outside which over time become stressed and break. The last rebounder I had, however began to rip … but then it had lasted three-and-a-half years! So now I finally have a new one and I am happily ‘boing, boinging’ my way again …

17 comments:

Dorothy said...

This article is so interesting..I use the elliptical machine and have had some success however this sound great and I wonder how much...

thanks for sharing..and visiting our blog

Dorothy from grammology
grammology.com

Unknown said...

Now I know this is exactly what I need.

Anonymous said...

That would jiggle my insides...I'm sticking with the elliptical. lol

Oh! I started a contest on my site where I'm giving 10k in EC credits to one person. Details are on my site if you'd like to enter.

Jackie said...

Gee whiz Polly if I were to try this right now it would probably kill me.

And that's probably a good reason why I should get one.

I have been way over doing again online and I am taking a self imposed mandatory break this weekend to get some rest.

You always write about the most interesting things. You are a marvelous writer!:-)

Geri O'Hara said...

This was a very interesting read, I bought myself a fold up bike for Christmas with the hopes that using it would make me feel healthier and happier! Unfortunately there has been a lot happening so I haven't really had the chance to try it yet, hopefully soon or maybe a rebounder would be a simpler idea

siteseer said...

I too have heard that it helps your lymphatic system. And from what I heard you don't even have to do it for a lenghthy period of time, just two to five minutes a day. Thanks for the reminder

Anonymous said...

I sure could use this, but i am afraid i would go flying,and I have low ceilings.LOL

Ms Recipe

Anonymous said...

Sounds interesting. Might as well have one myself..

Laura said...

I have often thought about buying a rebounder. After reading your post, I'm ready to get one! It sounds great. I too have heard many good reports of what rebounders have done for people.

Buzzing J said...

If only my roof is a bit higher ...

:)

Jackie said...

insomnia tonight. Or should I say this morning? It's 5am and I just now getting some very heavy eye lids.

I'll be back by later. I hope you have a good day!!:-)))

Anonymous said...

I remember ...
We used to have one of these.
My two sons loved to bounce on it, when they were young.
Fun and exercise - it doesn't get any better than that!
dawn
http://iowahippiechick.today.com/

Anonymous said...

And I wish I could have one. I wanted to jump on that!

Anonymous said...

I used to use one of these in the gym, then when I stopped going I often thought that I should get one of my own, never got round to it though, maybe I should ;)

Mariuca said...

Hola Polly, I have some awards for you, do come by to accept them when u’re free, happy Sunday! :)

Anonymous said...

I like these things too, but once I tried it and uhm... you know, I was reminded I should do my pelvic exercises...

Don't you have a problem jumping about after pregnancy?

Unknown said...

I have been wanting to get a rebounder....Am trying to decide between a eedak and a cellercisor...Does anyone know what they mean by soft bounce and easy bounce? Confused as to what to get..thanks