Random Ramblings

Random Ramblings: Personal observations on a wide variety of subjects. Photographs of creatures and things that are taken on seeing the unusual as well as everyday things.

Greenhouse

I have begun the task of trying to thin out some of the larger plants that are beginning to dominate my garden borders. Imagine my surprise when I came across the plants that the leaf-cutter bees are using to seal up their chambers with. So far this year I have found young ash tree leaves and more usual young rose leaves – these particular ones are from wild briar roses that have somehow self-seeded and are growing with vigour at the back of my border!

Leaf-cutter bees circle cuts out of rose briar Leaf-cutter bees circle cuts out of rose briar

Leaf-cutter bees circle cuts out of young Ash tree leaves Leaf-cutter bees circle cuts out of young Ash tree leaves

5 comments:

Sharkbytes said...

Very interesting following those leaf-cutters.

vange said...

Where do you live? I've never heard of leaf cutter bees! They sound awesome.

Liz said...

Interesting. It's the first time I heard of leaf-cutters too.

Hope you're having a great weekend Polly.

A Simple Life
Moms... Check Nyo
Mommy's Little Corner

Russ said...

That is interesting. Maybe my Roses are also being visited by Bee's. I blamed the beetles.
Another subject. Windex is a brand name for Window Cleaner. People just have a habit of calling their glass cleaner Windex. It is an American thing. Thanks for stopping by Polly.

sandy said...

For the last several years I've thinned, given away starts, weeded like crazy; and the yard currently looks like jungle anyway. Sigh, knee's been an issue alot lately so very little yard work being done.

We've lost lots of Ash Trees in my state due to disease.

Good Luck
Sandy