Random Ramblings

Random Ramblings: Personal observations on a wide variety of subjects. Photographs of creatures and things that are taken on seeing the unusual as well as everyday things.

Plugging the poles

This year the leaf-cutter bees are working with the fury of warriors at war. Not stopping or pausing as in previous years when they chose to rest either on the side of the insect house or bask in the sun on a nearby fence. They are working from early dawn until dusk focused and single minded on completing their mission.

They wanted no interruptions – and they made this perfectly clear – for the first time ever one of them decided that I was not a welcome observer and buzzed up to my face and continued doing so until I had left the lawn area completely. There was no threat of a sting but rather a pushing mode as it circled and buzzed straight at my face over-and-over-and-over again. I have never witnessed this type of aggression from these bees before. There is an urgency about them that is new and different from previous behaviour patterns.

Plugging the poles_edited-1 Leaf cutter bees plugging the poles of the old insect house

Pole plugging by leaf-cutter beesLeaf-cutter bee at the top of one of the poles 

They appear to be currently plugging two holes every day. This is very speedy working … I wonder whether there is going to be a change in the weather which is making them act more dedicated than ever.

4 comments:

Ann said...

How interesting. I would be very curious as to why they are behaving that way.

Sharkbytes said...

I don't know leaf cutter bees. What do they do to earn their keep? Are they pollinators?

Anonymous said...

that is so fascinating. Stopped by for EC, but I had to comment on those diligent bees!

Andrew said...

Healthy looking activity to me. I wonder if there were any changes to diet / i.e. new vegation over last year?