Random Ramblings

Random Ramblings: Personal observations on a wide variety of subjects. Photographs of creatures and things that are taken on seeing the unusual as well as everyday things.

Primrose bush or Potentilla

One of my most favourite shrubs is the Potentilla. There are many names for this shrub which, I believe originates from the bitter tundra and is therefore sometimes called the ‘Tundra Rose.’ Once established, it is at home in drier and warmer climes – but must be watered well in when first introduced into the garden especially if planted during the Summertime.

Primrose bush or Potentilla Primrose bush, Potentilla or Tundra Rose (Dasiphora fruticosa)

It is deciduous by nature and this particular bush is around twenty years old with a beautiful uniform and upright habit. Cuttings are best taken from the base where it throws out new growth from under the soil. Trowel out one or two small stems and plant them firmly in moist ground to achieve a new plant. Although this plant is bright yellow, there are Potentillas available in a variety of colours ranging from white, yellow, orange right through to red.

3 comments:

RussVintage said...

Very beautiful. Thank You for all the information on it. We just started a garden this year. We just moved to a new apartment. My thing is the Lilly. I think they are gorgeous. I have an Oriental Lilly whic I purchased. Also my granddaughter and I picked some Day Lillie's in a field next to our house. Lets see how they do next year.

Ann said...

I can see why that's one of your favorites. It's very pretty. So bright and happy looking.

Carolina Esguerra Colborn said...

looooove this shot! am very partial to yellow flowers! thanks...