Random Ramblings

Random Ramblings: Personal observations on a wide variety of subjects. Photographs of creatures and things that are taken on seeing the unusual as well as everyday things.

Who owns you?

When I was young a wonderful and wise old lady asked me the question:

“Who owns you?”

I said in a heartbeat, “Why my mother and father.”

The wise old lady laughed and said “Your mother and father didn’t purchase you they made you from their love so that one day you will go out into the world and do your very best to have a good life, but they do not own you. So, who owns you?”

I thought once more - very deeply and decided upon a different answer, “Why God, of course.” I was relieved that the answer had come to me.

“No,” she said “God watches over you but he doesn’t own you. So, who owns you?”

“I know,” I said “my country!”

She smiled then said “You may choose to serve your country when you are older for you are one of its citizens. You can buy part of its land so you are more likely to own your country than your country to own you. So, would you like me to tell you the answer?”

“Yes.” I said more baffled than ever.

“Why,” she said “you own yourself, of course. It is a big responsibility as you must choose what you would like to do with your life, what foods you should eat; what books you should read. What words you should say. Everything in life needs to balance, rather like a see-saw – then you will always be happy. You should never do any one thing without balancing it with something else. Try and remember that and always remember, no matter where you go and whatever you do you will always own yourself!”

 

Wonderful, beautiful and wise and special old lady

3 comments:

Ann said...

She was indeed a very wise woman. I like her answer to you. I'll have to keep in mind that balance is the key

jeanlivingsimple said...

This is a great story! Thanks for the post.

eastcoastlife said...

I couldn't answer that question myself. :(

I am what I am today because of what I chose to do with my life.